Default Interior Banner

Planning, Building and Development

Planning is the management of land and resources to ensure a healthy community - economically, socially and environmentally. The Planning department's role is to provide professional advice and information to Council, local residents, landowners and the development sector, with the goal of serving public interests and enhancing the quality of life and environment within the community.

The Planning department meets regularly with Council, normally on the fourth Monday of each month unless posted otherwise.

Committee of Adjustment  

The Committee of Adjustment is appointed by Council to consider applications for minor variances, permission and consents. The Committee of Adjustment holds regular public hearings to consider the applications that fall within its' mandate.  The meetings are open to the public and any interested party can appear before the Committee to present their views, in support or in opposition, to an application.  This Committee meets at the Call of the Chair upon the submission of applications.

The Committee of Adjustment reserves the right to refuse applications that are not complete or where sufficient payment has not been received.

The Committee of Adjustment is authorized by the Planning Act to consider applications for:

Minor variances from the Zoning By-Law
If a proposal does not comply with the Zoning By-law, the owner of any land, building or structure (or any person authorized in writing by the owner) may apply to the Committee of Adjustment for Minor Variance. The goal of a Minor Variance is to seek relief from a specific Zoning Bylaw requirement.

Minor Variances may be granted under the following criteria:

  • The request is minor in nature.
  • The request is needed for the appropriate development or use of the land, building or structure.
  • The general intent and purpose of the Zoning Bylaw and the Official Plan are maintained.

Minor Variance is established under Section 45 of the Ontario Planning Act.

For more information, view our minor variance procedures and application

Land division and consents

Land division and consents include severing a new lot from an existing lot, adding land to an existing lot, easements, mortgages or leases in excess of 21 years.

New lots must be approved through an application for a Plan of Subdivision. If only one or two new lots are being created, a full subdivision application may not be necessary. In this case, an application for consent to sever may be appropriate.

Consent is established under Section 53 of the Ontario Planning Act.

To learn more, view our consent application forms and fees.

Official Plan and amendments
An Official Plan is a statutory document required by the Province. It is prepared with input from the public and helps to ensure future planning and development meets the specific needs of your community.

New development and redevelopment proposals may require changes to the Official Plan. Public input through the Official Plan Amendment process is important.

To apply for an amendment to Plympton-Wyoming's Official Plan, review the Official Plan Amendment Guide, complete the application and submit it to the Planning department.

View the Town of Plympton-Wyoming's Official Plan including schedules (maps).

Official Plans and Amendments are established under Section 16 of the Ontario Planning Act.    

All planning fees are outlined in the Planning Fees By-law.

Zoning By-law and amendments
A Zoning By-law controls the use of land in your community, such as:
  • Where buildings and other structures can be located
  • The types of buildings that are permitted and how they may be used
  • The lot sizes and dimensions, parking requirements, building heights and setbacks from the street.

To apply for an amendment to Plympton-Wyoming's Zoning By-law, review the Zoning By-law Amendment Guide, complete the application and submit it to the Planning department.

View the Town of Plympton-Wyoming's Zoning By-law and maps.  

Zoning is established under Section 34 of the Ontario Planning Act.

All planning fees are outlined in the Planning Fees By-law.

Site Plan applications
The Town's Official Plan designates the entire municipality as a Site Plan Control area. The Council may, by by-law, designate the whole or any part of the municipality as a

Site Plan Control Area, either geographically or by reference to one or more zones set out in the Zoning By-law. Low density residential development and agricultural buildings and structures are not normally subject to site plan control unless specifically indicated in the implementing Site Plan Control By-law. Site Plan Control is established under Section 41 of the Ontario Planning Act.

The site plan approval process allows Town staff to review and approve development details, such as:

  • Building locations and setbacks
  • Parking facilities
  • Landscaping
  • Grading
  • Servicing
  • Snow storage
  • Lighting

This review allows us to ensure that the Town's minimum standards have been met before construction of a project begins. Once the site plan has been approved, the owner and the municipality enter into a site plan agreement, a contract that binds the owner to develop and maintain the site according to the approved plans and the terms of the agreement.

To apply for site plan approval, you must review and complete the Site Plan Approval Guide and Application and submit it to the Planning department.

All planning fees are outlined in the Planning Fees By-law.

Subdivision and development agreements
Plans of subdivision divide larger parcels of land into smaller lots. A subdivision agreement confirms the property owner's responsibilities for development of this land. Plans of subdivision usually involve the division of three or more lots, and the construction of new roads and services.

Plans for creating fewer than three lots generally require an application for severance instead of a plan of subdivision.

Subdivision applications are processed under Section 51 of the Planning Act.

Subdivision approval ensures that:

  • The land is suitable for its proposed new use
  • The proposal conforms to the Official Plan as well as Provincial and regional planning policies
  • The development can be appropriately serviced and accessed.

Draft approvals for all plans of subdivision or condominium are approved by the County of Lambton. Draft approval is required prior to entering into a subdivision agreement with the Town.

All planning fees are outlined in the Planning Fees By-law.

Zoning Certificates

Request Zoning Certificate

Submit your request to the Planning staff and choose your payment option below.

Payment Options

The current fee for a zoning certificate is $70 per roll number.

Methods of Payment:

  • mail with a cheque, or
  • courier with a cheque.

Please make cheque payable to "Town of Plympton-Wyoming".

Mailing address: Town of Plympton-Wyoming 546 Niagara St, P.O. Box 250 Wyoming, ON, N0N 1T0

By-law enforcement
Together with By-Law Enforcement staff from the County of Lambton, Plympton-Wyoming enforces the Town's by-laws.

Complaints are required to be put in writing and submitted to the Municipal Office. An investigation then occurs and if required, resolved pursuant to the applicable by-laws.

Related By-laws:

 Building Permits
Permits are issued and inspections completed by the County of Lambton Building Services Department as per By-law 46 of 2014

Please call 519-845-0801 to apply for permits or to arrange inspections.

Refer to our Building Permit Guide and fee schedule for further information.

Sarah Baldwin, Planner
Corrine Nauta, Chief Building Official, County of Lambton 

Contact Us